Anonymous asked: What is 50 shades of grey about? And what's so bad about it?
50 Shades of Grey was originally fanfiction based on the Twilight series, which was then published as a novel (along with 2 subsequent books). It sold over 100 million copies around the world and topped best-seller lists everywhere. It’s about to be adapted into a film, set to come out early next year.
It follows a college student named Ana Steele, who enters a relationship with a man named Christian Grey and is then introduced to a bastardised and abusive parody of BDSM culture.
While the book is paraded as erotica, the relationship between Ana and Christian is far from healthy. The core mantra of the BDSM community is “safe, sane and consensual”, and 50 Shades is anything but. None of the rules of BDSM practices (which are put in place to protect those involved) are actually upheld. Christian is controlling, manipulative, abusive, takes complete advantage of Ana, ignores safe-words, ignores consent, keeps her uneducated about the sexual practices they’re taking part in, and a multitude of other terrible things. Their relationship is completely sickening and unhealthy.
Basically, “the book is a glaring glamorisation of violence against women,” as Amy Bonomi so perfectly put it.
It’s terrible enough that a book like this has been absorbed by people worldwide. Now, we have a film that is expected to be a huge box-office success, and will likely convince countless more young women that it’s okay not to have any autonomy in a relationship, that a man is allowed to control them entirely. It will also show many young men that women are theirs to play with and dominate, thus contributing to antiquated patriarchal values and rape culture.
Boycott this fucking movie, for the love of god. These kinds of ideas are dangerous and set us back as a society
70 questions, go right ahead
- 01: Do you have a good relationship with your parents?
- 02: Who did you last say “I love you” to?
- 03: Do you regret anything?
- 04: Are you insecure?
- 05: What is your relationship status?
- 06: How do you want to die?
- 07: What did you last eat?
- 08: Played any sports?
- 09: Do you bite your nails?
- 10: When was your last physical fight?
- 11: Do you like someone?
- 12: Have you ever stayed up 48 hours?
- 13: Do you hate anyone at the moment?
- 14: Do you miss someone?
- 15: Have any pets?
- 16: How exactly are you feeling at the moment?
- 17: Ever made out in the bathroom?
- 18: Are you scared of spiders?
- 19: Would you go back in time if you were given the chance?
- 20: Where was the last place you snogged someone?
- 21: What are your plans for this weekend?
- 22: Do you want to have kids? How many?
- 23: Do you have piercings? How many?
- 24: What is/are/were your best subject(s)?
- 25: Do you miss anyone from your past?
- 26: What are you craving right now?
- 27: Have you ever broken someone’s heart?
- 28: Have you ever been cheated on?
- 29: Have you made a boyfriend/girlfriend cry?
- 30: What’s irritating you right now?
- 31: Does somebody love you?
- 32: What is your favourite color?
- 33: Do you have trust issues?
- 34: Who/what was your last dream about?
- 35: Who was the last person you cried in front of?
- 36: Do you give out second chances too easily?
- 37: Is it easier to forgive or forget?
- 38: Is this year the best year of your life?
- 39: How old were you when you had your first kiss?
- 40: Have you ever walked outside completely naked?
- 51: Favourite food?
- 52: Do you believe everything happens for a reason?
- 53: What is the last thing you did before you went to bed last night?
- 54: Is cheating ever okay?
- 55: Are you mean?
- 56: How many people have you fist fought?
- 57: Do you believe in true love?
- 58: Favourite weather?
- 59: Do you like the snow?
- 60: Do you wanna get married?
- 61: Is it cute when a boy/girl calls you baby?
- 62: What makes you happy?
- 63: Would you change your name?
- 64: Would it be hard to kiss the last person you kissed?
- 65: Your best friend of the opposite sex likes you, what do you do?
- 66: Do you have a friend of the opposite sex who you can act your complete self around?
- 67: Who was the last person of the opposite sex you talked to?
- 68: Who’s the last person you had a deep conversation with?
- 69: Do you believe in soulmates?
- 70: Is there anyone you would die for?
When you say you’re a feminist…I hope you really know what that means. It means standing up for women of color.
Standing by black women who must deal with being referred to as welfare queens or ratchet.
Being a feminist is standing beside immigrant women who deal with wage theft, unsafe working conditions, and being referred to as leaving anchor babies in America.
It means standing beside Native American women who face domestic violence and rape at unprecedented rates.
It means standing beside Muslim women who choose to live out their faith and face Islamaphobia, sexism and ignorance constantly.
It means standing beside Asian women who have been misrepresented in the media to be thought of as only submissive and quiet.
Please recognize that feminism impacts the lives of every single one of these groups…but we are all women